Cliff Aster Mindscape


The image Cliff Aster Mindscape is a simple image created to emphasize the color of the aster and the small checkerberry plant bravely poking their ways through the face of a cliff in central NH. The original image, while fine, seemed too much like a snapshot, despite the interesting subject matter.

In order to emphasize what was most important about this image, I determined to demphasize the area surrounding the plants by desaturating them to their simplest form, black and white. Having done this, I felt that the cold grays of a black and white "background" were not conducive to the feeling I was trying to create. I then took the black and white image  and applied a duotone filter to warm up the color with something akin to a sepia toner. Keeping both images the same size I then opened both on my desktop and copied the duotone image, placing it over the color image and then applying a history brush to bring back the color of the plants. The result is the final image that you see below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred Trust Update

Waiting on a Purple Breeze

Two King Images Chosen for "Focus on Figures" Juried Show April 22-30, 2017